We just made another round of about 70 fixes available for our stable releases! Nextcloud 22.2.0, 21.0.5 and 20.0.12 are out, bringing the usual fixes for small problems users bumped into over the last 7 weeks, as well as 3 minor features. Stay safe, update! Today, the desktop client team also released 3.3.5 of the desktop client.
Nextcloud 22.1.0, 21.0.4 and 20.0.12: what’s new?
This version also introduces three minor features:
- Transfer incoming shares from one user to another when transferring file ownership to a new account (see documentation)
- Allow users to use another email address to get notifications on (fits with the new feature in 22.1.0 to have multiple user email addresses)
- Show email addresses in the contacts menu
Externer Inhalt user-images.githubusercontent.com
Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
Besides these, the improvements are all fixes and security hardenings. As always we strongly recommend you update to ensure you have a secure and reliable content collaboration platform that respects your digital sovereignty!
Note: running web facing software without regular updates is risky. Please stay up to date with Nextcloud releases of both the server and its apps, for the safety of your data! Customers can always count on our upgrade support if needed!
The desktop client fixed a small issue in the
nextcloudcmdcommand line tool, and removed some logging code that could cause performance issues with E2EE.
Move to 22?
Nextcloud Hub 22 brings a wide range of improvements for the modern digital office with new workflows, important new collaboration features in Talk, Groupware, and Files for effective self-management for teams.
The biggest improvements Nextcloud Hub 22 introduces are:
- ⭕ User-defined groups with Circles that makes it easier to manage teams where you can share files or assign tasks to circles, or create chat rooms for a circle
- ? Integrated chat and task management where you can simply share a deck card into a chat room or turn a chat message into a task
- ? Easy approval workflow, where an administrator can define a new approval flow in the settings and users can, on a document, request approval
- ? Getting your document signatures easy with integrated PDF signing with DocuSign, EIDEasy, and LibreSign
- ? Integrated knowledge management Nextcloud puts knowledge available to everyone at a moments’ notice, providing easy search, sharing, and portable access
- ? Groupware improvements bringing a trash bin feature in Calendar and more. Nextcloud Mail features improved threading, email tagging, and support for Sieve filtering
There are many more new features and changes like notifications in the app navigation, integrated compression in the Files interface, and significant performance improvements to universal search.
Nextcloud Talk 12, available since July 20, adds to this:
- ? Deck integration (create task from chat message, share a task into a chat)
- ? Send voice messages (web and mobile)
- ? Share your location and contacts (mobile)
- ? Privacy settings in your profile
- ♻ Delete messages up to 6 hours after you sent them
- ? Outlook integration with Talk
and much more!
When will the update be offered?
As you might know, Nextcloud does staged roll-outs to end user servers through our updater. Nextcloud 22.1.1 was made available to about a third of our userbase already. Our plan is:
- go to 70% on 7th October
- go to 100% on 14th October
Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!
Minor Nextcloud releases are security and functionality bug fixes, not rewrites of major systems that risk user data! We also do extensive testing, both in our code base and by upgrading a series of real-world systems to the test versions. This ensures that upgrades to minor releases are generally painless and reliable. As the updates not only fix feature issues but also security problems, it is a bad idea to not upgrade!
This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.
If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security… who gets blamed if the file handling system isn’t working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as system administrator.