Nextcloud 22.1.0 and the earlier releases come with nearly 100 fixes for a variety of issues users encountered over the last months. We strongly recommend you update to ensure you have a secure and reliable content collaboration platform that respects your digital sovereignty!
Nextcloud 22.1.0, 21.0.4 and 20.0.12: what’s new?
The 22 release introduces a minor feature which allows users to set multiple email addresses, and select one as primary address. Confirmation via link is required. Additional addresses are being considered in e.g. share dialogues. Besides this, there have been a lot of improvements to Circles, the usual minor UI and performance fixes and security updates.
With this release, we adopt semantic versioning. This will make it more clear what is contained in a release. As we introduce a minor feature, the multiple-email support, we therefor release this as 22.1.0, not 22.0.1.
What does not change is that minor releases include stability and security improvements that are designed to be a safe and quick upgrade.
Note: running web facing software without regular updates is risky. Please stay up to date with Nextcloud releases of both the server and its apps, for the safety of your data! Customers can always count on our upgrade support if needed!
Move to 22?
Nextcloud Hub 22 brings a wide range of improvements for the modern digital office with new workflows, important new collaboration features in Talk, Groupware, and Files for effective self-management for teams.
The biggest improvements Nextcloud Hub 22 introduces are:
- ⭕ User-defined groups with Circles that makes it easier to manage teams where you can share files or assign tasks to circles, or create chat rooms for a circle
- ? Integrated chat and task management where you can simply share a deck card into a chat room or turn a chat message into a task
- ? Easy approval workflow, where an administrator can define a new approval flow in the settings and users can, on a document, request approval
- ? Getting your document signatures easy with integrated PDF signing with DocuSign, EIDEasy, and LibreSign
- ? Integrated knowledge management Nextcloud puts knowledge available to everyone at a moments’ notice, providing easy search, sharing, and portable access
- ? Groupware improvements bringing a trash bin feature in Calendar and more. Nextcloud Mail features improved threading, email tagging, and support for Sieve filtering
There are many more new features and changes like notifications in the app navigation, integrated compression in the Files interface, and significant performance improvements to universal search.
Nextcloud Talk 12, available since July 20, adds to this:
- ? Deck integration (create task from chat message, share a task into a chat)
- ? Send voice messages (web and mobile)
- ? Share your location and contacts (mobile)
- ? Privacy settings in your profile
- ♻ Delete messages up to 6 hours after you sent them
- ? Outlook integration with Talk
and much more!
When will the update be offered?
As you might know, Nextcloud does staged roll-outs to end user servers through our updater. We will make Nextcloud 22.1.0 available to about a quarter of our user base coming Monday, provided no blocking issues are found the coming days. After that, we’ll increase that number weekly to 100%.
Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!
Minor Nextcloud releases are security and functionality bug fixes, not rewrites of major systems that risk user data! We also do extensive testing, both in our code base and by upgrading a series of real-world systems to the test versions. This ensures that upgrades to minor releases are painless and reliable. As the updates not only fix feature issues but also security problems, it is a bad idea to not upgrade!
This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.
If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security… who gets blamed if the file handling system isn’t working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as system administrator.